REMEMBER...

LIFE IS A GARDEN; ENJOY THE STROLL.

January 15, 2016

I GOOFED BIG TIME........

.......and feel like such a crumb.  I have most likely definitely offended some folks out there in the social media world.

Well, this post is certainly the most difficult one I've ever written, and one that I never imagined that I would be doing.  My goof, although "well intentioned", was a result of acting before thinking.  I won't share the most detailed of details, but I will explain enough so that readers will get the gist of this unfortunate scenario, and can take from it and make of it what they choose.

Here we go......

I was prompted to join a Google+ community a couple of days ago.  Permission to view the community was granted only upon joining; however, there was no block with regard to viewing its members' profiles.  At that time there were only five members, and I hastily clicked on two of them just to take a quick look.  Now, I must say that those two particular profile photos didn't quite "fit" the genre of the community; I was a tad bit skeptical.  Sure enough, one of the members' Google+ accounts contained posts not even remotely related to this community; the other contained quite a number of posts that I felt were lewd and offensive.  This is where I goofed.  I didn't even take a moment to further look at the profiles of the other three members; I instantly made the decision that this was some sort of hoax community, then proceeded to alert members of an associated community to "beware!".  In addition, I clicked the "report abuse" button for inappropriate content.  What I should have done was find the community's host/owner, then privately bring it to their attention that I had some concerns about joining, and why.  THAT would have been the thoughtful approach. Instead, I elected myself as an inappropriate content police officer and made a complete A$$ of myself!

I have certainly learned a very important lesson from this, and must take ownership for my actions.

To those I have offended, I am deeply, deeply sorry.

4 comments:

  1. You should not apologize. If the host is not properly policing the community then SOMEONE needs to speak up. Frankly, I'm on your side and would probably have done exactly what you did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment; I really appreciate that you took the time to read my post. Following my actions I realized that I, too, have quite a few "rogue" followers. It never occurred to me to do anything about it; I simply ignore them, but silently question why (for example) someone into guns and swords would follow a blog about flowers, gardens and handmade decor and gifts. I just hope that those I offended will understand what I was thinking in that fleeting moment. Again, thank you so much for stopping by and commenting. It made my day :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks Linda,there are many people out there who are into crafts and they also like to post about mechanics,science or whatever.
    We CAN'T monitor what they post on their G+page but we CAN monitor what they post in our community.
    What's important is that DON'T let spam inside the community and if these people learn something from us that will be brilliant.

    'Ancient Wanderer' I'm sure you didn't understand what happened.
    We monitor the community and we DON"T allow spam!!
    NO ISSUE OF SPAM HERE JUST AN INNOCENT MISTAKE THAT LINDA REALIZED AND KINDLY APOLOGISED.

    Linda,thanks so much for taking the time to apologise and your personal email, I really appreciate this.
    Take care:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hoping that I would hear from you. Thank you so much for reading my post, for accepting my apology and for your understanding. Peace, Linda

      Delete

Go ahead, drop me a comment!