REMEMBER...

LIFE IS A GARDEN; ENJOY THE STROLL.

October 19, 2014

YOU TAKE IT FROM HERE

©Linda Nelson 2014
Does this look familiar to you?  Yes, it is one of those cheap, plastic box frames.  Yuck.  I happened to snatch up a few from a "free" pile at a yard sale.  The plan was to just use them as organizers in my garage tool cabinet.  Some folks use them as compartments for organizing their junk drawers.  As frames for displaying photos...... not so much.

Now, I do have an alternative purpose for these "sorry looking, lame choice for a frame" boxes - molds for decorative hypertufa garden ornaments.  That's a project for next spring; I've got it penciled down in my creative idea journal.  But, there's something else I want to share with you.......
©Linda Nelson 2014
See what happens when you sand them down?  Now all those ugly scratches are frosty, on purpose scratches.  The boxes have been transformed into an ideal mount for so many creative things.  Stringing together a bunch of small ones to create a letter banner, perhaps?  A DIY house number plaque?  Decoupage, anyone?  Reaching for your chalkboard paint?  Oh....... what about simply glueing on a vintage skeleton key, then mounting the box on a wall?

Work deadlines will not allow me to venture beyond the sanding step at this time.  I look forward to creating something, and when I do, I will certainly share it with you.  In the mean time, why don't you take it from here.  Explore the possibilities.

There you have it.

Now, you get creative.


4 comments:

  1. They look great! What a good idea. I gotta find a few of those frames so that I can explore the possibilities. Can't wait to see what you decide to do with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you will create something awesome, Laurie. Please share when you do. The frosting "technique" really makes the cheapness just go away.

      Delete
  2. Neat idea. I'll keep that in mind when I'm looking at other things. Did you hand sand with a piece of sand paper or use a machine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just hand sanded with # 220 grit paper, sanding until I achieved a "frostiness" that was pleasing to me. It's up to you whether you elect to sand in one or both directions, or in a circular motion. I also sanded the interior of the frame. That helps achieve a more opaque effect.

      Delete

Go ahead, drop me a comment!